Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Adventure #2 "raised" bed gardening

This is supposed to be my "raised bed" garden. I built a box with 2x8's and my husband picked the spot. He said I would only have to dig about 3 inches to get it level....wrong...the full eight!

Under the plastic are tomato plants...an experiment I read that tomatoes will not produce fruit until the temps are consistently over 50 degrees F. Does that happen in the mountains of CO? Wrapping the tomato cage with plastic and covering them at night is supposed to help. on the right are zucchini and spaghetti squash and at the back I have planted some beans. I need to get my carrots and beets in tomorrow. i also have a tomato in a container on the deck. It is wrapped in plastic too. You can see how the garden is at the back of the lot. I now feel that this bed is too small, but it is an experiment and was supposed to be temporary. We hope to build a retaining wall and extend it out more. I am jealous that my neighbor has strawberry plants and raspberries. Hopefully next year! And to end with a nice picture of some lilacs from my front bush, boy do they smell good.

No comments: